Wednesday, 16 September 2026

|| THE SIREN WHO WOULD NOT DROWN ||

 

There are desires that speak of drowning,

and others that whisper—

stay by the shore.


To dissolve completely into another,

to become water in their veins,

and yet to be understood

without language—

in that strange, violent wave

where agony meets recognition

and neither knows

who swallowed whom.


My water.

My sea.


I love you.

I love myself.


And perhaps that is why

I am afraid of both.


For you and I

are ancient oceans—

carrying beneath our skins

depths without measure,

secrets without names,

and desires

even the moon does not dare pull from us.


I only wonder

if they know.


If they understand

the pain of becoming smaller

so that something else may live.


The quiet sacrifice.

The intention behind it.

The pieces I cut away

and place gently

at the altar of love.


And do not mistake me—

I do not bleed from resentment.


I bleed because I love.


Because my heart has always been

a vessel too full for its own ribs,

and sometimes

the only way to keep it overflowing

is to let it break.


I cut.

I lose.

I nurture

with whatever remains.


Yet what remains

has never truly been less.


For I was born of abundance.


I carry the old magic—

the kind that turns ash into wings,

the kind that teaches a dying thing

how to rise without asking

who set the fire.


So I rise.


Again.

And again.


I give.

I love.

I become.


Not because I do not fear emptiness,

but because I do.


For I dread the day

the waters within me finally still—

the day there is nothing left

to pour,

nothing left

to sacrifice,

nothing left

to resurrect.


For then,

perhaps,

the sea will remember itself as a storm.


And when it comes,

it will not ask permission.


It will swallow the shore,

the ships,

the names carved into sand—

everything and everyone

who mistook my gentleness

for an endless tide.


So, for now—


my twin,

my sacred water,

my mirror beneath the moon—


do not ask me to drown.


Teach me instead

the ancient art of crossing.


Grant me the strength

to enter your depths

without abandoning mine.


Give me a vessel

strong enough for two oceans.


Teach my hands

the language of the oar.


And when the waters rise,

when the siren in me

calls me toward the abyss—


hold my gaze.


Remind me

that I was never born

to sink.


I was born

of sea and flame,


and I am still learning

how to sail.


-Moonshines

No comments:

Post a Comment

|| THE SIREN WHO WOULD NOT DROWN ||

  There are desires that speak of drowning, and others that whisper— stay by the shore. To dissolve completely into another, to become water...